For more information on the 2021 Al Hoffman Scholarship application please contact Ann Spivak, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
Al Hoffman Scholarship Program Overview
The Junior Golf Foundation of Greater Kansas City (JGFKC) impacts the lives of young people in the Greater Kansas City area by providing learning opportunities and educational programs that promote character development and life-enhancing values through the game of golf. The Al Hoffman Scholarship hopes to award The First Tee a participant who demonstrates academic excellence, life skills competency and a financial need with a scholarship to offset college tuition.
Who can apply for an Al Hoffman Scholarship?
The opportunity to apply for an Al Hoffman Scholarship is available only to participants of First Tee of Greater Kansas City who are seniors in high school and continuing their education after graduation. The use of the scholarship is restricted directly toward tuition expenses. Although financial need is taken into consideration when awarding this scholarship, it is not the only factor in determining the award.
Who was Al Hoffman?
Al Hoffman founded what would become the Junior Golf Foundation of Greater Kansas City in 1987 along with four friends. Mr. Hoffman was the driving force behind the development of the Foundation and our affiliation with The First Tee. He recruited Tom Watson to serve as the President of our Advisory Board. He spearheaded the development of Kansas City’s first junior golf course at the Heart of America Golf Course and Academy. Mr. Hoffman believed that golf was the perfect vehicle for character education and created an organization for young people to learn valuable Life Skills while learning to play the game of a lifetime.
Al Hoffman Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Each applicant must submit an application that meets the following requirements to be eligible to apply for an Al Hoffman Scholarship.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in core curriculum (history, math, social studies, science)
- Provide a current school transcript
- Involvement in Chapter activities such as mentoring with younger students or volunteering at The First Tee.
- Character reflects The First Tee Nine Core Values
- Leadership role in community activities and/or school activities
The First Tee Participation
- Active in The First Tee program at the time of application
- Enrollment in The First Tee Program for at least two years
- Minimum certification level of Birdie Level
- Completion of Al Hoffman Scholarship application and submission of all components postmarked by April 15, 2019
Letters of Recommendation
- A coach of The First Tee
- High School Guidance Counselor or Teacher or another administrator
- Employer (if applicable)
- Other non-familial character references
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Please include a digital copy of page 1 including your FAFSA SAR (Student Aid Report) showing your name and address as verification and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) rating.
Financial need is a very important component of the Al Hoffman Scholarship. Please take the opportunity to explain the financial need that may not be covered in the FAFSA report.