From age 7 through 18, youth progress through levels by demonstrating The First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level. The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing Ace.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Tee it up for the first time and learn the game of golf and The First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
When moving through the program participants have a plethora of added benefits once reaching the Par Level (2nd level) and above. Our partnership with the Kansas City Golf Association and Youth on Course provide youth in the Par Level and above a free membership, included in their program registration, to play over 20 golf courses in Kansas City and surrounding areas for just five dollars per round.
On a national level local participants of The First Tee of Greater Kansas City have the can apply for special opportunities to improve on their life skills and golf skills gained at The First Tee. Of the ten opportunities the one that stands out the most is the Pure Insurance Championship benefiting The First Tee, where participants have the chance to play the number 1 golf course in America Pebble Beach and are paired with PGA Tour Champions players while being televised on the golf channel.
Remaining in The First Tee as a participant gets older can serve very beneficial as they look to higher education. Through a grant, on behalf of The First Tee of Greater Kansas City’s founder, the late Al Hoffman, high-schoolers have the opportunity to receive a college scholarship for excellent participation in TFTGKC.
Overall, of participants in The First Tee 96% of teens in our program say their golf skills have improved and 90% of our alumni consider themselves lifelong golfers and beyond golf 80% of teens and alumni say The First Tee helped them become a better student.